Malaysian gov’t declares MH370 accident, all those aboard presumed dead

 

 

 

Screenshot captured on January 29, 2015 shows Director General of the Malaysian Department

of Civil Aviation Azharuddin Abdul Rahman announcing that the status of flight of MH370 has

been finalized as lost.   Photo – Xinhua

 

A televison program shows Director General of the Malaysian Department of Civil Aviation

Azharuddin Abdul Rahman announcing a statement, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on January 29,

2015. Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said on Thursday that the Malaysian government officially

declared MH370 an accident, and all 239 people on board the plane were presumed dead.

Photo by Chong Voon Chung

 

 

 

 

PUTRAJAYA  |  2015-01-29 19:32:30

 

Malaysian gov’t

declares MH370 accident,

all those aboard presumed dead

 

 

By Zhao Bochao

 

 

Director General of Malaysian Department of Civil Aviation Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said on Thursday of January 29 that the Malaysian government officially declared MH370 an accident, and all 239 people on board the plane were presumed dead.

“It is therefore, with the heaviest heart and deepest sorrow that, on behalf of the government of Malaysia, we officially declare Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 an accident … and that all 239 of the passengers and crew on board MH370 are presumed to have lost their lives,” Azharuddin said in a statement.

After 327 days (as of January 28, 2015) and based on all available data as well as circumstances mentioned earlier, survivability in the defined area where the plane was located was highly unlikely, the statement said.

“Malaysia Airlines will undertake their responsibilities in relations to the legitimate rights and interests of the next-of- kin, which includes the fulfillment of the compensation process,” it said, adding that the company was ready to proceed immediately with the compensation process.

The statement also said a special section had been established on the MH370 website, which included information on the search and investigation efforts, the compensation process, responses to the inquiries of the next-of-kin as well as other forms of assistance that were available to the relatives.

Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, a Boeing 777 aircraft with 239 people including 154 Chinese aboard, disappeared on March 8 last year shortly after taking off from Kuala Lumpur en-route to Beijing.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak has announced the ill- fated plane had “ended in the southern Indian Ocean,” following analysis of data released by British satellite telecommunications company Inmarsat.

A massive multinational search operation, joined by 65 aircraft and 95 vessels from 25 countries, has been launched from the South China Sea, the Bay of Bengal to the southern Indian Ocean, but the searchers so far have not found the wreckage.

As to the investigation, the statement said the “Malaysian ICAO Annex 13 Safety Investigation Team for MH370,” comprising representatives from seven countries was conducting its safety investigation, while a criminal investigation led by the Royal Malaysia Police was also ongoing.

Both investigations were limited by the lack of physical investigation evidence at this time, particularly the flight recorders.

“Therefore at this juncture there is no evidence to substantiate any speculations as to the cause of the accident. An interim statement detailing the progress of the safety investigation is expected to be released on or around the one year anniversary of the accident,” it added.

 

 

 

 

 

BEIJING  |   2015-01-29 22:32:20

 

Chinese premier calls on Malaysia

to continue to exert all efforts to find MH370

 

 

By Bai Jie

 

 

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang called on Malaysia to continue to exert all efforts to find Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 and its passengers.

Li made the remarks at a joint press conference with visiting French Prime Minister Manuel Valls after their talks in the Great Hall of the People in Beijing.

Li firstly offered deep sympathy and expressed sincere condolence to all the passengers on board, including 154 Chinese nationals and four French nationals.

“It is a hard time for the families of everyone on board and all of us as well,” Li said.

Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, with 239 people on board, disappeared shortly after taking off from Kuala Lumpur on March 8 en-route to Beijing.

Director General of Malaysian Department of Civil Aviation Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said on Thursday that the Malaysian government officially declared MH370 an accident, and all 239 people on board the plane were presumed dead.

Li said China, together with the international community, have spared no efforts in investigating the incident and offering help to families of passengers since the airplane went missing.

“In the following stage, the Chinese government will continue its search efforts and other related works,” said Li.

“We hope Malaysia will act on its commitment and continue search and investigation efforts, fulfill its compensation obligation, especially to make every possible effort to find the whereabouts of the plane and the passengers,” the premier said.

 

 

 

 

 

CHINA VOICE

 

A never-ending quest

for missing MH370

 

By Liu Tong

 

327 days on, the disappearance of the Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 was finally announced as an “accident” and all 239 onboard the plane are presumed dead.

This means the compensation process and possible litigation for the families of those lost souls will soon start. But more than that, the quest for the missing plane should not stop.

For many, the declaration was bound to come “sooner-or-later” after large scale international efforts proved futile, with more questions than answers.

For the families and loved ones of the passengers and crew members onboard, this is nothing short of another blow. They still deserve an answer.

Even Malaysia Airlines, which suffered a series of setbacks and boycotts after the accident, needs to strive to prove that its planes are still safe.

China has never forgotten the 154 Chinese nationals, who will never return home again. In his televised new year speech, Chinese President Xi Jinping said “we haven’t forgotten them, and we will continue to try every way to find them.”

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang, after the Malaysian declaration, also called on Malaysia to continue to exert all efforts to find Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 and its passengers.

The Chinese government mobilized massive resources in the search for the plane, including 21 satellites, 19 vessels, 13 aircraft and more than 2,500 personnel were dispatched to get involved in the investigation, said China’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying. The international community also brought several assets.

Even if the amount of money spent on assets and personnel are enormous, such efforts should continue. The Malaysian government should honor its promises that “this declaration is by no means the end.”

Maybe it is time for distraught families to move on. But whether the souls of the 239 onboard can be truly remembered will be decided by whether commitments are honored and whether continued efforts are delivered.

 

 

 

 

 

CANBERRA  |  2015-01-30 13:47:36

 

Australian gov’t reiterates

commitment to search for MH370

 

By Xu Haijing

 

The Australian government remains committed to the search for MH370, the Joint Agency Coordination Center (JACC) for the search of MH370 said in a statement on Friday of January 30.

Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, with 239 people on board, disappeared shortly after taking off from Kuala Lumpur on March 8, 2014 en-route to Beijing.

Director General of Malaysian Department of Civil Aviation Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said on Thursday that the Malaysian government officially declared the disappearance of MH370 an accident, and all 239 people on board the plane were presumed dead.

“The Australian Government notes the declaration of accident relating to the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 that was delivered by the Government of Malaysia,” the JACC statement said.

“We understand that the families of those on board MH370 are experiencing enormous grief, heightened by not knowing the circumstances under which the aircraft disappeared.”

“Providing support to those families, particularly at this difficult time, will continue to be a priority,” the statement added.

“The Australian Government will continue to work collaboratively with the Governments of Malaysia and the People’s Republic of China in service of the families of those on board and the wider travelling public.”

According to the latest operational search report by the JACC, four ships, namely Fugro Equator, Fugro Discovery, Fugro Support and Go Phoenix, are either in the search area or on the way to the search area.

So far, around 18,000 square kilometres of the seafloor have been searched, which is around 30 percent of the priority search area. Around 208,000 square kilometres of the wide search area have been analysed and mapped.

With no significant delays with vessels, equipment or from the weather, the current underwater search area may be largely completed around May 2015.

On April 28, 2014, Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott announced the search for MH370 would move from surface search and recovery to a new intensified underwater search.

At a Tripartite Meeting on May 5, 2014, Malaysia, China and Australia agreed that the next phase of the search for MH370 involved three major stages, namely reviewing all existing information and analysis to define a priority search zone of up to 60,000 square kilometres along the seventh arc in the southern Indian Ocean; conducting a bathymetric survey to map the sea floor in the defined search area; and acquiring the specialist services required for a comprehensive search of the sea floor in that area.

In the recent Federal Budget, the Australian government announced it will provide up to 89.9 million AU dollars (72 million U.S. dollars) over two years from 201314 as part of Australia’s contribution to the search for MH370.

 

 

 

 

 

 

BEIJING  |   2015-02-02 23:38:34

 

China appreciates

Australia’s commitment to

MH370 search

 

By Hou Lijun

 

China highly appreciates Australia’s positive attitude towards the search for MH370, said the Foreign Ministry on Monday of February 2.

Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, a Boeing 777 aircraft with 239 people on board, including 154 Chinese nationals, disappeared on March 8, 2014 shortly after taking off from Kuala Lumpur en-route to Beijing. On Jan. 29, the Malaysian government officially declared the disappearance of MH370 an accident, and all 239 people on board the plane are presumed dead.

The Australian government remains committed to the search for MH370, the Joint Agency Coordination Center (JACC) for the search of MH370 said in a statement on Friday.

“The Australian Government will continue to work collaboratively with the Governments of Malaysia and the People’s Republic of China in service of the families of those on board and the wider travelling public,” said the statement.

Ministry spokesman Hong Lei told a regular press briefing that China will continue to work with Malaysia and Australia on the missing flight.

Around 18,000 square kilometers of the seafloor have been covered, around 30 percent of the priority search area. Around 208,000 square kilometers of the wider search area have been analyzed and mapped.

With no significant delays, the current search may be largely completed around May of this year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share


959 Comments

  1. Amazing blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download
    it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple
    tweeks would really make my blog stand out.

    Please let me know where you got your design. Many thanks

  2. Darrell wrote:

    Appreciating the commitment you put into your website and
    detailed information you offer. It’s nice to come across a blog every once
    in a while that isn’t the same unwanted rehashed information. Fantastic read!
    I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m including your
    RSS feeds to my Google account.

  3. tinyurl.com wrote:

    Excellent blog here! Additionally your site so much up fast!
    What host are you the usage of? Can I get your affiliate hyperlink to your host?
    I want my site loaded up as fast as yours lol

  4. Corrine wrote:

    An interesting discussion is definitely worth comment.

    I believe that you need to write more about this topic, it
    might not be a taboo subject but generally people do not talk
    about these topics. To the next! All the best!!

  5. Flynn wrote:

    Buyers do pay direct and indirect prices.

  6. tinyurl.com wrote:

    This paragraph is actually a pleasant one
    it assists new internet viewers, who are wishing for blogging.

  7. Heya! I realize this is somewhat off-topic however I
    had to ask. Does managing a well-established website such
    as yours require a large amount of work? I am completely new to
    blogging however I do write in my journal every day.
    I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share
    my own experience and thoughts online. Please
    let me know if you have any kind of suggestions or tips for
    brand new aspiring blog owners. Appreciate it!

  8. Victor wrote:

    I don’t even understand how I stopped up here, however I thought this submit was once good.
    I don’t understand who you might be but definitely you are going to a well-known blogger for those who
    aren’t already. Cheers!

  9. Norberto wrote:

    Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful
    & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

  10. tinyurl.com wrote:

    Fastidious answers in return of this query with real arguments and explaining the
    whole thing concerning that.

  11. tinyurl.com wrote:

    I’m gone to convey my little brother, that he should also pay a quick visit this web site on regular basis to obtain updated
    from newest information.

  12. Rashad wrote:

    Saved as a favorite, I love your website!

  13. Josette wrote:

    You could certainly see your expertise within the work you write.
    The arena hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who aren’t afraid
    to say how they believe. All the time go after your heart.

  14. tinyurl.com wrote:

    Hi, Neat post. There’s a problem along with your site in web explorer,
    would check this? IE still is the market leader and a
    large component of other people will leave out your fantastic writing due to this problem.

  15. tinyurl.com wrote:

    hello!,I like your writing so much! share we keep in touch more about your article on AOL?

    I need a specialist on this house to unravel my problem.
    Maybe that’s you! Looking forward to see you.

  16. Boyd wrote:

    Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest
    twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this
    for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
    Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I
    look forward to your new updates.

  17. Elaine wrote:

    Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I certainly get irked while people think about
    worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the
    top as well as defined out the whole thing without having
    side-effects , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more.
    Thanks

  18. Kendra wrote:

    Currently it seems like BlogEngine is the
    preferred blogging platform available right now.
    (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

  19. Grupo Coral wrote:

    Can you tell us more about this? I’d want to find out some additional information.

Leave a Reply

*